Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week Nine Essay: American Indian Fairy Tales

American Indian Fairy Tales. Suffolksheepni.
This unit was one of my favorites to date. I picked to read this unit simply because I had no idea that American Indians had fairy tales. The description for the unit drew me in and I was happy to find that everything mentioned in the unit description was actually in the unit. 

I really did enjoy the readings this week. I loved that the stories in this unit were all presented with the frame story of Iagoo and the two children, Morning Glory and Eagle Feather. The fact that all the stories were presented within this frame kept me on my toes and made it a very interesting read. I was never bored with any of the stories and I also liked that many stories in the unit were continuations of each other. This made the stories a little longer but there were more details and more progression of the characters, which I really enjoyed. 

My favorites stories were definitely the Child of the Evening Star and the Little Boy and Girl in the Clouds. These stories had lots of details and continuations of each other and I really enjoyed that. There was lots of background information noted in the readings for these stories and I liked the frame that was set with Iagoo and Morning Glory for both. I honestly didn't have any stories this week that I didn't like. Each story was very interesting and it was as if they were separate entities, yet built on each other within the frame story. 

The only information I would have liked to know is that the entire unit is a frame, or lots of stories within one larger story. I found this out on my own, but knowing that up front might help people choose this unit because this unit really is great! The American Indian Fairy Tales unit definitely exceeded my expectations I was able to learn more about the heritage and culture of American Indians, all while enjoying the frame story of Iagoo, Morning Glory, and Eagle Feather.  

2 comments:

  1. Kylie, I am so glad I happened to see your post here: it makes me really happy that you liked that one! I was adding notes to the Hiawatha unit yesterday (which tells some of the same stories as in Larned here; they both based their stories on a 19th-century study of Native American storytelling by a man named Schoolcraft), and I was hoping to get to this one to add notes today. If you are interested in seeing another literary re-do of these northern Native American tales, Hiawatha is a good read - it's one that wants to be read out loud because of the poetry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading the units that have to do with fairy tales and I didn't realize that Native Americans had fairy tales either! Would you say that they are like most of the story tales we read where there is a magical undertone or are they more geared towards other things like presenting an idea, or a creation story, or lessons? I read Native American Hero Tales this week and I feel like the stories weren't so much fairy tales as they were lessons.

    ReplyDelete