Saturday, October 11, 2014

Week Nine Storytelling: Child of the Evening Star

Oweenee. Jill Oxton.

Dear Diary,

Today, my last sister was married and moved out of our teepee. Although I am the youngest of the ten, I know that there is something different about me. All my sisters have found suitors that they can love and have married, bringing my father much joy. However, I am left here all alone.

I am so confused because many men come to our door to woo me. They come from far and wide and have many riches, gifts, and are extremely attractive. Yet, I have this strange feeling that I can see something within them that no one else can see. It is as if I can see their true self and see straight into their heart, rather than just what is on the surface.

The talent or curse is causing much grief and heartache in my family, as I am viewed as picky and with much too high of standards. I am not hard to please, as I genuinely want to be married, but these men just did not seem right. Many times, I blame it on their appearance, as I do not know how to express my feelings in words. I tried to tell my father that I have a special gift through which I can see the true souls of men, but he did not listen. Instead, my father views me as a silly and naive girl. I feel forever lost and do not know what to do.



Dear Diary,

Today, the most peculiar thing happened. A man several years older than I came to our home, asking for my hand in marriage. He was many moons older than me, and could have been the ugliest man I had ever seen. With jagged and yellowed teeth, matted hair, and strange eyes, this would be one man my elder sisters would smirk at.

However, there was something different about him. I couldn't place my finger on it, but he was kind and gentle and I knew that he was the one for me. His heart was of pure gold and I knew that he would treat me in the best way and that we would be happily married for the rest of our days. Looking past his appearance and the wagging tongues of my sisters, I accepted his hand in marriage. I knew, deep down, that he needed my love as much as I needed his. Although this decision is one that would confuse many, I am excited for our life together as man and wife.

Author's Note: 
This week, I decided to do my storytelling over the story, Child of the Evening Star. The original story is split into several parts through which a young girl, Oweenee, who was a fair and beautiful girl. All her sisters were married and she was not yet married because she could see into the hearts of men.

She ended up marrying an old beggar who was actually under an enchantment. The old beggar was actually a young, beautiful man and the son of the Evening Star and later in the story, the enchantment is shifted to Oweenee, who becomes old and ugly. This story tells its readers the importance of love for what is on the inside, rather than appearance.

I decided to tell this story as a diary entry from the first story in the series about how Oweenee is feeling to give more insight to her character.


Bibliography
Book Title: American Indian Fairy Tales
Story Title: Child of the Evening Star
Author: W. T. Larned
Year: 1921

6 comments:

  1. I thought this was a very interesting story and I really liked the diary perspective that allowed the reader to better understand the narrator's gift. I loved the message of marriage being about seeing within rather than having it be based on physical attraction or appearances. It was interesting to see how a young girl with such ideals was considered naïve or silly when in reality, she was very wise for her discernment. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job telling this story. I really like the diary theme. I have read many stories that have used the diary theme and they always seem to turn out amazing. This finding love not based on appearance must be a common thing in this section of the UN-Texbook. On of the stories in my unit was along the same lines as this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy how you retold this story in diary form, which I am noticing to be very popular. I really like how you kept everything short and to the point but still not lacking in detail! Very impressive! I am curious though, as to why you ended where you did? You still had plenty of space to continue and tell us about how the man was under an enchantment and about their live together after marriage. I would have loved to read more about that! I guessed that the man wasn't entirely as he seemed, because most ugly men asking a woman for marriage has some sort of enchantment on him in stories like these. Either the man does or the woman does, but still. I really did enjoy your story though! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie, I really enjoyed this story and the diary format in which you chose to tell it in. This story reminds me of the Child of Ill Luck story that I read in one of the past units. That story also has the same message of looking past someone's appearance and loving them for who they truly are. This was a great story and the way you told it was amazing! Keep up the great work, I always love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kylie,

    I really liked reading your story. It kind of reminded me of Beauty and the Beast and the Child of Ill Luck from a past unit. I liked that you told it in diary form because it shows her point of view and her feelings. You used really good details without making it wordy. Overall, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kylie!
    I really liked your retelling of his story! I think writing the story in a diary format was an excellent choice; it really gives a better insight into the thoughts and feelings of the narrator. I have been noticing more and more stories written out in this diary format, and so far they have all been really great!

    ReplyDelete